Getting into the groove

Buenas Días to all and feliz Domingo! I blog today to update my faithful readers, prayer Warriors, family and friends as life continues here in Antigua.

This week has been one of learning and some routine. I enjoy the routine of running up to the Cross on the North end of Antigua several times a week. I enjoy the routine of school every day. However, nothing is ever too routine here. Our pal, Deenenoth has left for other adventures and our other pals - Andrea and Katrin have left the city as well. However, new friends have joined us, including but not limited to an Irish woman, Sara, two middle aged sisters from California, and two new missionaries - Francesca and Emily!! It is great to have them here.

Some highlights from the week included some medical practice. My host mother, Elsa, is an absolutely beautiful and inspiration woman. About 60 years old, she has raised 4 children and now dedicates her life to service of the poor. She has worked in the hospital as a nurse in every department for many years, and now in her "retirement," her house is a refuge for the sick who cannot pay for medical care. Jesús had a plan when He placed me with this family. Before this week, she did not really offer me to help when the poor knocked on her door. But last night, I asked to join her in helping a 2 year old girl who had an infection in her throat. She had a high temperatura, and after inspecting her throat for White growth, my host mom "diagnosed" her with an infection. She then prescribed and administered antibiotic for her. I love that nurses can be doctors and pharmacists here :) I was reminded again how much I really do love the heart of nursing - serving people in their physical need. Last night, I did not really do too much medically, but I socialized with them and gave the kids Candy - so I suppose, serving a sort of physical need. I also got to help my friend, Cat, with her twisted ankle. We put a simple ACE wrap on, and hopefully that will help! Again, it was exciting to act like a nurse and do something simple for a friend.

The hospital has still not gotten back to me about volunteering, so I will go to a different volunteer site with the school on Monday to help out with kids who have special needs. I have talked to a few more locals which is fun and confidence boosting.

I have been reflecting on a reflection given by the Finca for our time in Antigua. It talks about how Christ is everywhere. He is in the drunk, in the poor, in those who mistreat me, in the men on the Street who whistle and cat-call. He is in those who are patient with me - my teacher, Sonia. He is in those who give beyond measure - my host parents, Francisco and Elsa, their children, the housekeeper, Margarita. I have Heard this before, but to really imagine that it is Jesús who is in all the good and the bad people whom I encounter is scandolous! Sure he is in the housekeeper and my house parents, but He is the drunk? He cat-calls? He is not listening when I try to tell a story. This is what the reflection says. However, I want to have this sort of radical love for people - to see them as Jesús.

And so life continues, just the same. I keep learning and eating breakfast and striving to love Christ (some times more than others.) I pray that you continue to see Christ in your everyday life as well.

Love and blessings.

P.s. Sorry I write this on a Spanish keyboard, so sometimes it capitalizes weird things or changes the words to Spanish. Also it is rather sticky...

Comments

  1. Good Morning, Ruthie...it's so good to read about what is going on in your life now...I have to think that those you meet who are the "drunk" and those who "cat call" truly do not know Jesus could be in their heart and life if they chose to have Him there...Yes, indeed, God has created each and every one of us in His image...however, that does not mean they choose to live like Jesus...this is where by example we come to them with His love in us, in the hope that they will acknowledge and eventually change their ways...just be careful...
    I like this segment of scripture...2 Timothy 3

    3 Understand that the last days will be dangerous times. 2 People will be selfish and love money. They will be the kind of people who brag and who are proud. They will slander others, and they will be disobedient to their parents. They will be ungrateful, unholy, 3 unloving, contrary, and critical. They will be without self-control and brutal, and they won’t love what is good. 4 They will be people who are disloyal, reckless, and conceited. They will love pleasure instead of loving God. 5 They will look like they are religious but deny God’s power. Avoid people like this. 6 Some will slither into households and control immature women who are burdened with sins and driven by all kinds of desires. 7 These women are always learning, but they can never arrive at an understanding of the truth. 8 These people oppose the truth in the same way that Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. Their minds are corrupt and their faith is counterfeit. 9 But they won’t get very far. Their foolishness will become obvious to everyone like those others.

    Take Paul as your model
    10 But you have paid attention to my teaching, conduct, purpose, faithfulness, patience, love, and endurance. 11 You have seen me experience physical abuse and ordeals in places such as Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra. I put up with all sorts of abuse, and the Lord rescued me from it all! 12 In fact, anyone who wants to live a holy life in Christ Jesus will be harassed. 13 But evil people and swindlers will grow even worse, as they deceive others while being deceived themselves.

    14 But you must continue with the things you have learned and found convincing. You know who taught you. 15 Since childhood you have known the holy scriptures that help you to be wise in a way that leads to salvation through faith that is in Christ Jesus. 16 Every scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for showing mistakes, for correcting, and for training character, 17 so that the person who belongs to God can be equipped to do everything that is good.

    love and hugs to you,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! I definitely do not want to (and will not) mingle with those types of people in any sort of close fashion! Good clarification - praise God for the truth in scripture! I hope all is fantastic at the Abbey. Please give my greeting to all the monks - especially Brother Anthony, Brother Peter, Abbott Ralph, Brother John etc :) Also, Tonya, Kellie, Vernon, Gabby, Lita, and anyone whom I have forgotten!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

'Twas the night before mission

Goodbyes and Hope